Before we can demonstrate love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control in our lives (See Galatians 5: 22), we must first be filled to capacity with the Spirit of God.
For, with the filling of the gift of the Holy Spirit, all others gifts will be ours. Without this gift we will never receive the power and love of God, in all its glory.
Sadly, most of us will never overflow with the Holy Spirit, much less be filled by Him, because 1) we do not ask for His filling (Luke 11: 13, “If he then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask Him”), 2) we remain satisfied with a surface level encounter or “bottom-glass” filling of the Spirit (we rejoice in and settle for the first surge of His presence and working) and 3) our capacity to receive the Spirit, liberally and fully, is minimized by the “dirt” or “sin” that fills our hearts and minds to the rim.
If we are to be filled with the Spirit today, we must first humbly ask God to remove the “dirt” that fills our hearts and minds so that more of the Holy Spirit can fill our hearts and minds. This first step toward a renewing, holy and life changing filling, is necessary, for, darkness and light cannot coexist (See 2 Corinthians 6: 14).
When our hearts and minds are filled with dirt, there is no room for the light of God, will of God or the fruits of the Spirit to infuse, empower and transform us. This first step also ushers blessings into our lives that our feeble, futile and frail efforts will never bring to life.
Without this gift, we will be “ever seeing but not perceiving, ever hearing but not understanding” and ever doing but never overcoming.
I dare you to set time aside today to:
1) Assess your mind and heart and consider the habits, hurts and hang ups ( 3 H’s) that are keeping you from being the best follower of Christ, in your current reality;
2) Admit or acknowledge that it’ll take more than human power, science or help to straighten the kinks (or the 3 H’s) in your heart and mind;
3) Seek God – lay what is unlike Him before Him (known and unknown) and ask for the gift of His Holy Spirit;
4) Believe in faith, that the same Holy Spirit who moved within the disciples of Christ after His ascension, can little by little work within you to become more and more like Christ, daily ( This Helper is still ours – John 14: 26, “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you”);
5) Avail yourself to the Spirit’s leading into a more genuine, power-packed, light-bearing life.
Scripture of the Day:
Acts 1: 8 (adapted), “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you [to overcome addictions, evil spirits, darkness of the heart…] and you will be my witnesses [on the job that you hate, in the relationship that is struggling, in the home that is less than perfect, in the group that is far from powerful) …and to the end of the earth.”
Love, peace, joy,
(C) 2017, Dentrecia Blanchette